Trueblue Friendster Profile »

Monday, December 17, 2007

AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini To Retire at the end of the Season

AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini announced shortly after winning the FIFA Club World Cup that he will retire at the end of the season.

The Rossoneri beat Boca Juniors 4-2 today to clinch the trophy and cap off an impressive year for the Italian club.
'Today I truly feel satisfied with what I have achieved,' said Maldini, who earlier this year lifted the Champions League trophy.
'In June I will absolutely retire without any regrets.'
As far as honours go, the 39-year-old defender has had his fair share including five Champions League titles, two Intercontinental Cups, four European SuperCups and seven Serie A titles.
But the FIFA Club World Cup is the icing on the cake for the iconic Rossoneri player who made his debut in 1985.

'It's great to have won this trophy because it's difficult to be playing at 39 in a great club like AC Milan,' said the former Italian international.
'Milan has allowed me always the possibility to play for important trophies.
'I have had everything in my football career but I have pain and I struggle. I still have a lot of fun but the pain is beginning to take over.'
Maldini retired from the Italy national side shortly after the 2002 World Cup with a record number of caps.

0 comments: